Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Handmade Recycled Sail Wallets

I thought it would be a great idea to do talk a bit about my famous sail wallets, as I have just sold my 8th wallet from my online Etsy Store! (Yeah, okay, 8 is no 10, but I think it's a big deal. So yay for me.)

These wallets are handmade recycled sail wallets, and are available with custom embroidery numbers of your choice. This assures you that not only are no two wallets the same, but you can really make it "yours" by choosing your color and number! The colors available are red, navy (my favorite, and I think looks the best...) and hunter green, and you can have up to 4 numbers embroidered - you can see the machine in action embroidering a piece of sailcloth, above!

I currently have 3 types of sail wallets available in my shop, to suit three different price points and styles. There is the simple clutch recycled sail wallet, below which can hold a check book or cash, and has 5 pockets to hold credit cards.


Then there is the simple (and most popular!) tri-fold handmade recycled sail wallet (pictured below). I think people like this one because it is the most unisex. It has a see-through (made from racing sail!) pocket for a license, and 2 sets of 3 pockets each on the other two sections, which both pull pack to hold additional stuff. Then, of course, all of it is sewn outside of the larger pocket for cash!

My last eco-friendly wallet was actually modeled after a wallet I bought my brother in Italy. It has some slight modifications, of course, but it is essentially the same. It's a handmade recycled sail bi-fold wallet!. The special sauce? I actually sewed a CHANGE POCKET which is secured by velcro! Amazing!

These handmade wallet styles are all available in my Ash Tree Etsy Shop, with more ideas being cooked up every day. Click through the wallet links to check out some more pictures, or browse through the other great options for handmade nautical gifts.

Have a wallet you'd like to see? I'd love to get some recommendations or even feedback!!

1 comment:

  1. Very cool product. Love it.

    Here are some ideas.

    I have also seen numbers taped. The tape holds almost forever but some sew them too. Some times the adhesive some times forms balls at the edge. Those numbers are colored sail cloth. That could be easier to produce. Some class sailboats have symbols printed onto the sail like the sunfish.

    Also, for some reason the usual sowing on a sail is zig-zag, taking up more space.

    An other sail material you might like is rip-stop. Its thinner, colored, and has a square pattern.

    You might already know all this stuff.

    examples:
    google > sunfish boat
    http://www.lodeysails.com/sailing/sails_s.htm
    http://reiter8.blogspot.com/2009/11/wip-sail-messenger-bags.html
    http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7439

    ReplyDelete

Share and Enjoy!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin