Monday, February 15, 2010

Recycled Sail Notebooks



Oh my god this is so awesome. Though I feel as though I may have more success with this product at live shows or in person, I simply have to write about it because its awesome. As I said.

So I've been experimenting with my sail cloth, and am always trying to come up with new products and ideas. I'm currently enrolled in a Book Arts class, which surprisingly, I absolutely love. It's as though all of my creative juices are finally coming together through my love of writing, paper, and sewing into one fantastic package. This book is a prime example.

It's blank insides are made from recycled sketchbook paper, and I knew that the sail canvas wouldn't be sturdy enough for a cover - as in, it would probably fold and be a bit flimsy without being sewn like a hem: similar to my sail wallets. So, after I cut out a piece and embroidered it, I dipped it in wax to see what it would do - and it just feels so cool. It gave it that extra push for strength and added a really cool, soft texture to it.



I then bound it with a running-Japanese stitch, which is actually a lot simpler than it looks. (I think I'll throw up some how-to's for stitching, because it's so fun!) And there you have it! This model is really big and thick, more like a sketchbook that you can take *anywhere* - I'm going to make some smaller ones once I can get more canvas embroidered and cut to go. So let me know if you're into a custom order, or keep checking back in my etsy shop for smaller pieces!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share and Enjoy!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin