Thursday, June 18, 2009

Internships - My experience



















So I figured I would share some of my work experience, before I started my business.

Sophomore year, I decided that I did not want a life and became a full time intern and a full time student. Yeah, skill. 3 days a week, I'd wake up at 6:00 to commute to Salem, and I had class full time (9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.) on the other two days. AND I had a boyfriend. Boyfriends suck up your life WITHOUT full time crap going on.

My internship was with the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, MA. They have an EXCELLENT intern program, and all art students and interested people should definately check it out; they pay great, and the museum itself is gorgeous. I learned a lot, and because I worked with the Registration Department, I got to check out a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff (They offer positions in all different departments). I loved it so much that after that spring semester, I continued to work there during the summer.

After last summer, I was at Tufts full time. I didn't want to stop working, so I got another (unpaid) internship at GASP Gallery, a small art gallery in Brookline. It was an interesting experience; lots of cleaning. And wearing black. But it was cool to attend the gallery openings, and have the chance to speak with artists and patrons.


And in January of this year, I left GASP to pursue the embroidery and silkscreen business with my mother, and had begun to expand on my jewelry line to make it more of a business, too. I also took 3 ELS courses at Tufts, which one must never do at the risk of losing your sanity in the coursework (more on that later).

I've also worked as a florist and commissioned artist. And most recently, calligrapher. So basically, I have a good mix of small and large business experience, and have learned a lot that I continue apply to Ash Tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share and Enjoy!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin